Chris Barron Live at Nightingale Bar on 1988-11-07
- Chris Barron
Rock & Roll Affliction?
Tangled Up In Blue
Dirty Old Man?
Put Another Log On The Fire
Your Cheating Heart
Related Music (Beta) question-dark
Versions - Different performances of the song by the same artist
Compilations - Other albums which feature this performance of the song
Covers - Performances of a song with the same name by different artists
|Rock & Roll Affliction?|
|Tangled Up In Blue|
|Dirty Old Man?|
|Put Another Log On The Fire|
|Your Cheating Heart|
- Chris played solo between Blues Traveler's sets. Track 6 cuts out
(see notes below).
Notes from Michael:
- Nak 300's>D6C, 1st gen, 2 channel mono, no NR
I caught The Hour at Kenny's Castaways in the Village. Then I headed
over to Nightingales (2nd Ave. @ 13th Street) to catch BT. This place
was just a bar. The band set up in front of a mirror, parallel with
the bar and there was about 8 feet between the band and the bar to
dance if one chose to do so (though I don't think there was ever more
than 4 or 5 people dancing, with me being one of them of course). I
came in during their first set and taped as much as I could. The band
played at ear damaging levels. After one song I remember John saying
to Chan, "why don't we turn down some?" and they lowered the volume a
little. Then they played a 2nd set.
After the 2nd set Chris Barron began a solo set. I let my tape deck
run and split with the band. Someone's girlfriend (I'm pretty sure it
was John's) had an apartment around the corner and we walked up 4
flights of stairs or so to party there for a while. When we got back
to the bar my equipment was still there, though the tape had run out.
The band got behind Chris and started to play Cleopatra's Cat with
him. This was followed by the rest of Blues Traveler's 3rd set. At
some point I discovered that only one of my mics had been on (bummer,
remember I had set up in a hurry). I therefore decided to dub the
master down to a two channel, mono, 1st gen cassette using a splitter.
When I did this I put the fragment of Chris Barron's solo set at the
end of the 3rd BT set just for tape space reasons. Due to the tape
running out it wasn't continuous anyway.
- 2009-05-28 13:37:28
- Onkyo TA-6711>Tascam DA-20>U2A>Sound Studio 2.1.1b3>AIFF>xACT 1.58
- New York, NY
- Run time
- Taped by
- Michael Gould
- Transferred by
- Dave Mallick
- Nightingale Bar
Subject: Several early Spin Doctors tunes
This audience recording is good - the lyrics and guitar can be heard fairly clearly, even over a moderate amount of audience chatter.
It's a pretty interesting mix of cover songs and Chris Barron originals that he'd go on to play with Spin Doctors.
1. Teddy (this song was released on Chris Barron's 1998 solo CD, Shag)
2. Pandora´s Box (some audience members sing along; Chris says his friend Ben Lewis wrote it; Spin Doctors played it a lot but never officially released it)
3. Gorilla Boy (this was released on Shag and by Spin Doctors on their 1999 cd Here Comes the Bride - it was a request from somebody in the audience; Chris calls it a "filthy piece")
4. Rock & Roll Affliction? (I don't know this song, did Chris write it?)
5. Tangled Up In Blue (by Bob Dylan)
6. The Drop (partial) [It's listed incorrectly, it's not Scotch & Water Blues]
7. So Bad (This song was officially released on If the River Was Whiskey by Spin Doctors)
8. Dirty Old Man? (I don't know this song)
9. Put Another Log On The Fire (by Shel Silverstein)
10. Your Cheating Heart (by Hank Williams)
Chris was playing in between Blues Traveler sets and sang Cleopatra's Cat with the band at the beginning of their third set. It's archived here:
Chris also sang background on Gloria in Blues Traveler's first set.
Thanks to Chris, Dave & the taper.
Uploaded by greenone on